Falkirk Council

Falkirk Council
Telephone: 01324 506070

Complaints, comments and suggestions

We value complaints and use the information to help us improve our services. If you want to make a complaint please contact us:

When complaining, tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you want us to resolve the matter


We take complaints about our services seriously and deal with them in confidence. We use the information from complaints to try to improve our services to prevent the same problems happening again.

What is a complaint and what is not a complaint

There are some things we can't deal with through our complaints handling procedures. For more information please read our what is a complaint and what is not a complaint page|.

How long do I have to make a complaint

It is usually easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. Normally, you must make your complaint within six months but no longer than 12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after this time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

Have you been treated fairly?

If you feel you did not get the service, help or information you expected because of your age, gender, gender identity, race, disability, sexual orientation or religion/belief, please let us know.

Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant to make a complaint yourself. Please read our page on getting help to make your complaint| for help and advice.

Guide to our complaints procedure

You can make your complaint in person, by phone, by email, using our complaints form|. We have a two-stage complaints procedure. We will always try to deal with your complaint quickly. But if it is clear that the matter will need a detailed investigation, we will tell you and keep you updated on our progress.

Stage 1: frontline resolution
We will always try to resolve your complaint quickly, within five working days if we can.
If you are dissatisfied with our response, you can ask us to consider your complaint again.

Stage 2: investigation
We will look at your complaint at this stage if you are dissatisfied with our first response. We may also look at your complaint immediately at this stage, if it is clear that it is complex or needs detailed investigation.

We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days. We will give you our decision as soon as possible. This will be after no more than 20 working days unless there is clearly a good reason for needing more time.

Complaints about Social Work

In Social Work, if your complaint can't be resolved at a local level it will be forwarded to the Complaints Officer for Social Work Services|. They will acknowledge receipt within five working days and report the outcome of an investigation within 28 days. If your complaint is complicated then it may take longer, but you will still be informed of progress.

If you are still not happy with our response then you may take your complaint to The Care Inspectorate.

Care Inspectorate
Compass House
11 Riverside Drive
Dundee DD1 4NY
telephone: 0845 600 9527
email: enquiries@careinspectorate.com|
website: www.careinspectorate.com|

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

If, after receiving our final decision on your complaint, you remain dissatisfied with our decision on the way we handled your complaint, you can ask the SPSO to consider it.

We will tell you how to do this when we send you our final decision. For more information please go to our Scottish Public Services Ombudsman page|.

The SPSO offers a range of fact sheets| designed to give advice on some common topics of complaint that members of the public enquire about. They outline what the SPSO can and cannot do about a specific complaint and provide details of other organisations that might be able to offer help or support to customers.

Contact Centre
Phone: 01324 506070
Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
Address: SPSO, Freepost EH641, Edinburgh
Phone: 0800 377 7330
Fax: 0800 377 7331
Email: ask@spso.org.uk|

Complaints about factoring

Taking your complaint to the Homeowners Housing Panel (HoHP)

The SPSO does not normally look at complaints about the Council's factoring service.

If you are a factored homeowner in one of our high rise blocks and you remain unhappy with the Council's response, you can take certain complaints to the Homeowners Housing Panel.

Before you take a complaint to the HHP you must first have notified us in writing of the reasons why you consider that we have failed to carry out our duties, or failed to comply with the Code of Conduct under the Property Factors (Scotland) Act 2011. We must also have refused to resolve your concerns or unreasonably delayed resolving them.

Homeowner Housing Panel (HoHP)
Europa Building
450 Argyle Street
G2 8LH
telephone: 0141 242 0175
fax: 0141 242 0141
email: hohpadmin@scotland.gsi.gov.uk|
website: www.prhpscotland.gov.uk|

Related Pages
Related Links
British Sign Language
Contact Us
  • By Post: 
    Contact Centre
    Falkirk Council
    Municipal Buildings
    West Bridge Street
    FK1 5RS
  • By Telephone:
    01324 506070
  • By Fax:
    01324 506061
  • By Email:
Contact Us
  • By Post:
    Education Services
    Falkirk Council
    Sealock House
    2 Inchyra Road
    FK3 9XB 
  • By Telephone:
    01324 506600
  • By Fax:
    01324 506601
  • By Email:
Contact Us
  • By Post: 
    Complaints Officer for Social Work Services
    Falkirk Council
    Hope Street
    FK1 5RW
  • By Telephone:
    01324 506400
  • By Fax:
    01324 506401
  • By Email: