For winter 2014 to 2015, you could get a £140 discount on your electricity bill through
the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The discount does not affect your Winter Fuel Payment
or the Cold Weather Payment. You will qualify for the discount if, on 21 July 2014,
your supplier was part of the scheme, your name (or your partner's) was on the bill
and you were either:
- 80 or over and getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
- Under 80 and only getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (you won't
qualify if you also get Saving Credit)
If you qualify
If you qualify for the discount, you'll get a letter this autumn or winter telling
- You don’t have to apply - you’ll get the discount automatically
- To apply by 30 January 2015 - the letter will tell you why and how
- You’ll receive your letter by 24 December at the latest
The money is not paid to you directly but shows as a one-off discount on your electricity
bill, usually between October and March. If you use a pre-pay or pay as you go electricity
meter your supplier will tell you how you will get the discount. For example, a
voucher you can use to top up your meter.
If you do not qualify
Some suppliers offer the discount to vulnerable people (eg, those on a low income).
You need to phone your supplier to ask whether you qualify as each supplier has
their own rules about who else can get the discount.