There are a few simple steps you can carry out now to help prepare your home for
extreme winter weather.
- Make sure you know where the stopcock for your water supply is located and check
that it turns easily. It is usually near where the water pipe enters the house or
under the kitchen sink
- Make sure you know where the isolating valves for the hot and cold supply are and
check that you can turn them easily
- Know how to turn your electricity supply off at the mains
- Check all your taps to make sure they are not dripping
- A non-mains powered landline telephone will help you stay in touch during any disruptions
to your power supply
- It is also a good idea to keep a snow shovel and some salt or grit at home to clear
paths or driveways.
It is a good idea to check the terms of your household insurance policies. Find
what cover you have for extreme winter weather risks such as flood or storm damage
and for the costs of temporary accommodation if your home is not habitable.
There are two types of home insurance: buildings insurance and contents insurance.
If you rent a property you should consider taking out contents insurance and check
with your landlord about building insurance.
Contents insurance covers your household
possessions against loss, damage or theft. Items covered by a typical contents policy
include electrical goods, furniture, clothes etc.
We advise homeowners to have buildings insurance in case of extreme weather damage.
It covers the structure, fixtures and fittings of your home. This covers windows,
Falkirk Council has no responsibility to assist council tenants, financially or
in the drying out or replacement of furniture etc. However, we do offer a Tenant's
Contents Insurance Scheme. It provides a simple, financially attractive means for
tenants to protect their household effects against loss or damage. Insurance cover
is provided by a reputable insurance company and participating tenants pay the premium
on a fortnightly basis together with their rent. Details are available at your local
One Stop Shop/Advice and Support Hub.