Winter on-demand service
The winter on-demand brown bin service starts from Monday 28 November 2016 until the end of February 2017.
Each property is allowed one on-demand winter brown bin collection every 4 weeks.
Additional brown bins (£50 per year) can be presented at the same time and will be emptied. To request a free brown bin collection during this time please call us:
From April 2016 your brown bin for all types of compostable garden waste will be collected every 4 weeks between April and November.
How do I use my brown bin?
- Collect your garden waste as normal.
- We cannot take soil or stones, only place plant material in your brown bin.
- Twigs and small branches should be cut to lengths that fit in your brown bin.
- Place these materials in your brown bin.
- Place brown bin at the kerbside on your collection day.
Your bins must be at the kerbside or agreed collection point by 6:30am on the morning
of your collection day.
Additional brown bins
Every household is only entitled to one free brown bin for garden waste.
From April 2016 we are providing residents with the option to pay for an additional brown bin. There will be a charge of £50 per additional brown bin, per year.
Households who pay for an additional bin will be issued with a sticker to put on the front of the brown bin. The collection crews will have up-to-date information detailing which households have subscribed to the service and will only collect from those who have paid.
The additional brown bin will be collected on your normal scheduled brown bin date as per your collection calendar.
How to request an additional brown bin
We are currently requesting households to register their interest in receiving an additional brown bin.
What can I put in my brown bin?
- Grass cuttings
- Flowers and plants
- Hedge trimmings
- Twigs and small branches
- Windfall fruit
- Soil (take to recycling centre)
- Stones (take to recycling centre)
- Building rubble (take to recycling centre)
- Plant pots (take to recycling centre)
- Plastic bags and packaging (use green bin)
- Cat or dog waste (use green bin)
- Food waste (use food waste caddy)
It is important you do not put the wrong materials into your brown bin. Any material
that cannot go in your brown bin can be taken to one of our
Frequently asked questions
- What day will my winter on-demand brown bin collection take place?
- Can I have an extra brown bin?
- Why are you making changes to the brown bin collection service?
- Why are you introducing a charge for additional brown bins?
- How do I request an additional brown bin?
- How often will my additional brown bin get collected?
- What do I do if don’t want to keep my additional brown bin?
- What happens after I have paid for the additional brown bin?
- Can I have a larger brown bin?
- Can I take my garden waste to the recycling centres?
- I live in a flat. Can I have brown bin?
- What happens to the material I put in my brown bin?
What day will my winter on-demand brown bin collection take place?
Each area has an allocated collection day for the winter on-demand service. Households must request for their on-demand brown bin collection.
All brown bins must be requested no later than 6:30am on the day of your area's allocated collection day. Please request your on-demand winter brown bin collection a few days before the scheduled collection day for your area.
Bo'ness and Blackness*
Grangemouth and Skinflats*
Stenhousemuir, Carronshore, Airth, Letham, Dunmore and South Alloa
Bonnybridge, High Bonnybridge, Greenhill, Larbert and Torwood
Bainsford, Middlefield, Grahamston, Langlees and Carron
Camelon, Tamfourhill, Hallglen, Glen Village, Bantaskine, Woodlands, Princes Park and Lionthorn
Laurieston, Polmont, Redding, Westquarter, Redding and Brightons
Maddiston, Slamannan, Whitecross, Rumford, California, Avonbridge, Standburn, Wallacestone and Shieldhill
Denny, Dunipace, Haggs, Longcroft, Banknock and Head of Muir
*If you live in Bo'ness, Blackness, Grangemouth or Skinflats please request your on-demand brown bin collection before 12:30pm on the Friday before your allocated collection day. Any requests logged after 12:30pm on Friday will be collected on Monday, the following week.
Can I have an extra brown bin?
There is a limit of one free brown bin per household.
Residents can request an additional brown bin. An annual charge of £50 applies to each additional brown bin per year.
You can take extra garden waste to one of our recycling centres or home compost it.
Why are you making changes to the brown bin collection service?
We have a duty to collect your recycling and waste, but not your garden waste. Due to a reduction in our budget it was agreed on 17 February 2016 to make changes to the waste collections services.
These changes included:
- Moving the brown bin to a 4 weekly collection service
- Introducing a charge for additional brown bins
Why are you introducing a charge for additional brown bins?
To protect the brown bin service and ensure its continued provision, we have agreed to provide one free collection every 4 weeks and give householders the opportunity to pay for additional brown bins should it be required.
How do I request an additional brown bin?
Please follow this link to request an additional brown bin or phone the Recycling Helpline on 01324 504444
How often will my additional brown bin get collected?
For your £50 you will receive the following service:
- 04 April to 25 November (inclusive) your additional brown bin will be collected along with your scheduled free brown bin as per your collection calendar
- 28 November 2016 to end of February 2017 you can use the winter on-demand collection service for your additional brown bin.
What do I do if don’t want to keep my additional brown bin?
If you currently have an additional brown bin at your property and do not wish to keep it please phone the recycling Helpline on 01324 504444 or email email@example.com to arrange an additional brown bin removal.
If you change your mind and require an additional brown bin there will be an annual charge of £50 per year and per bin.
What happens after I have paid for the additional brown bin?
Once your payment has cleared, you will receive a sticker (and a brown bin if you don't already have one) within ten working days, which must be placed on the front of your additional brown bin.
Collection crews will not empty any additional brown bins, unless they are displaying a current sticker.
Can I have a larger brown bin?
No. We only provide one size of brown bin. This is 240 litres in capacity.
Can I take my garden waste to the recycling centres?
Yes. If you bring your garden waste in a plastic bag or sack, please only put the garden waste in the container. You can reuse the bag or put it in the non-recyclable waste container at the recycling centre.
I live in a flat. Can I have brown bin?
Brown bins are available to flats with gardens.
If you would like to recycle your garden waste, please contact us on 01324 504444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens to the material I put in my brown bin?
Your brown bin material is taken to Kinneil Kerse Recycling Centre where it is composted.
The compost can be used as a soil improver and is free for householders in the Falkirk Council area to collect from either of our recycling centres.