Any 2 people, regardless of where they live, may register a civil partnership in Scotland if:
- They are both at least 16 years old on the day of their civil partnership.
- They are not related to each other in a way which would prevent their partnership.
- They are not married and not in a civil partnership - any person who has already
been married or registered as a civil partner must provide evidence that the previous
marriage or civil partnership has been ended by death, divorce, annulment or dissolution.
- They are of the same sex.
- They understand the nature of a civil partnership ceremony.