Any 2 people, regardless of sex or where they live, can marry in Scotland if:
- They are both at least 16 years old on the day of their marriage.
- They are not related to each other in a way which would stop them marrying.
- They are not married and not in a civil partnership*
- They understand the nature of a marriage ceremony and of consenting to marriage.
- In the case of an opposite sex marriage, the marriage would be valid in any foreign
country to which either person belongs.
* If you are in a qualifying civil partnership, you can change it to a marriage – a qualified civil partnership is a civil partnership registered in Scotland which has not been dissolved, annulled or ended by death.