We are responsible for the collection of all local business rates. Ratepayers will receive a bill each April detailing the annual charge. Instalments are due on the first of every month from 1 May to 1 February unless you pay by direct debit.

The amount we collect is paid into the national Non-domestic rates pool. This is then redistributed by central government to Councils in the form of grants to help pay for services.

If you are having problems paying your non domestic rates you should contact us immediately. Please read our debt recovery policy for more information.

Debt recovery policy

A valuation roll listing all properties that have to pay non-domestic rates is kept by the Assessor for Central Scotland. The Assessor also determined the rateable value (RV) of each property.

Scottish Government and Scottish Enterprise have developed a new business rates bill calculator to estimate your business rates bill and a plain English business rates guide:

There are mandatory and or discretionary reliefs available. You should contact the Non-domestic Rates team to check eligibility and to make an application. The Non-domestic Rates team are located in the One Stop Shop in Callendar Square, Falkirk. You can contact them on:

Frequently asked questions

  1. What if I don’t agree with the valuation of my property?
  2. What if I don’t agree with my bill?
  3. What if my circumstances change?
  4. What happens if I don’t pay on time?

What if I don’t agree with the valuation of my property?

Contact the Assessor for Central Scotland by emailing assessor@centralscotlandvjb.gov.uk or by calling 01786 892200. 

Appeals cannot be accepted more than six months after the date that you first purchased or occupied a property.

What if I don’t agree with my bill?

You can only appeal against the amount of your bill if you think it has been assessed incorrectly. To appeal, you must write to the Revenues Manager, Non-Domestic Rates Section, Callendar Square, Falkirk FK1 1UJ within 30 days of receiving your bill. 

You must continue to make payments while waiting to hear the outcome of your appeal.

What if my circumstances change?

If you qualify for mandatory and or discretionary rates relief, you must tell us if your circumstances change as this may affect the relief you are entitled to.

You must contact us when you take over a business property. If you are the tenant of a rented property and you are giving up your tenancy, you will need to write to us to provide a forwarding address. We will contact your landlord to ask for written confirmation of your tenancy details. When we receive this information, we will end your responsibility and issue you with a new bill.

If you are selling a property, please ask your solicitor to provide us with written confirmation of the following details:

  • Date of settlement
  • Name and address of the buy
  • Name and address of buyer's solicitor

When we receive this information, we will calculate the payments due by the seller and buyer. We will issue a new rates bill to the seller's solicitor. We will send a new rates bill to the buyer.

What happens if I don’t pay on time?

You could lose the right to pay by instalments and will have to pay the full balance. If you fall into arrears, we will send you a reminder requesting payment in full within 14 days. If you fail to pay, we will apply for a Summary Warrant which, once granted, will add a 10% Statutory Penalty to your account. If you still do not pay, your account may be passed to Sheriff Officers for collection.

If you are having any difficulty paying your rates, please contact us. If you owe multiple debts, you can obtain free advice from Falkirk Council’s Debt Advice Service. You can call them on 01324 506735.