If you have a two year old child and receive certain benefits you could be entitled to free childcare.
You could be entitled to 600 hours of free childcare per year, which is the equivalent of 5 half-days of early learning and childcare per week during term-time.
This allows children to learn through play and gives parents time to organise family life.
Who can apply?
The hours become available as soon as parents start receiving one of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based)
- Employment Support Allowance (income-based)
- Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit and your income is less than £16,105
- Both Maximum CTC and maximum Working Tax Credit and your income is under £6,420
- Support under Part VI of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit
The income thresholds for Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit can vary annually.
Two year olds who are, or have been, at any point since their second birthday:
- Looked after
- Under a kinship care order
- Under a guardianship order
are also entitled to free childcare.
Your child will continue to receive a free childcare place until they start primary school.
Why is it important for children to go to nursery?
Childcare allows youngsters to learn while they play, and helps them develop skills for later life such as:
- language development
- the ability to build relationships
- increased brain development in the early stages
Parents also have more time to look for work, to study or to have some time for themselves.
We try to provide a place in a nursery most convenient to parents.
Each half day lasts around 3 hours and is available morning or afternoon.
There are twelve centres which offer free childcare to two year olds in the Falkirk Council area.
- Bonnybridge ELC Campus
- Camelon ELC Centre
- Denny ELC Centre
- Inchlair ELC Centre
- Kinneil ELC Campus
- Laurieston Primary School
- Queen Street ELC Centre
- Rannoch ELC Centre
- Woodburn ELC Centre
- St Margaret’s ELC Campus
- Braes Family Centre
- Langlees Family Centre
Entitlement to the nursery place is the first term after your child’s second birthday or the first term when you start receiving benefits (if your child is already two years old).
How to apply
To apply or for more information: