You may get help to pay your rent through Housing Benefit, which is means tested,
if you have a tenancy and your capital is below a certain level.
The different types of benefit are;-
- Housing Benefit (HB) is help towards your Falkirk Council or Registered Social Landlord / Housing Association rent
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is help towards the rent you are due to pay to your
If you make a claim for any of the above and are due to pay Council Tax then we
will also assess your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction (CTR), Second Adult Rebate
(SAR) or Enhanced Council Tax Reduction (ECTR).
Any benefit you get will be detailed on your notification letter and if you rent
from us, you will also receive an amended rent bill. If you also get
CTR then this will be shown on your amended Council Tax Bill. Benefit normally starts
from the Monday following the date you contacted us to apply, or the Monday following
the date we received your application, whichever is the earlier.
In most cases we are unable to backdate benefit, so the sooner you contact us the
sooner you can get help to pay your rent. You must tell us immediately if there is a change in your circumstances.
When you apply, you will need to give us:
- Proof of your identity from an original document
- Details of all the people living with you
- Details of all income, savings and state benefits you, your partner (if you have
one) and any non-dependants living with you get
If you have over £16,000 in savings, you will not be entitled to help unless you
receive the guaranteed part of Pension Credit. If you are under pension age, we ignore the first £6,000 of your savings. For every £250 you have over that amount, we count £1 per week as income.
If you are of pension age, we ignore the first £10,000 of your savings. For every
£500 over that amount, we count £1 per week as income.
Use our Online Postbox form to submit any documents you have been asked to supply.
You can currently use the form to submit documents for the following services:
- Housing benefit
- Council Tax
- Free school meals and Clothing grant
- Education Maintenance Allowance
Frequently asked questions