Licence summary

To sell a range of chemicals including caustic soda, chemical toilet fluids, drain cleaners and some pesticides and weed killers from a premises within the Falkirk area, the seller needs to be registered with Falkirk Council. The chemicals are listed in Part II of the Poisons Act and are referred to as non-medicinal poisons.

A listed seller, or his named deputies, who are registered with the authority cannot sell poisons which are included in Part 1 of the Poisons List. These may only be sold by a registered pharmacist.

Eligibility criteria

  • The premises selling the poison must have a member of staff serving customers; poisons cannot be sold by way of a vending machine.
  • The premises that the application applies to must have suitable facilities for storing the poisons.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • An initial registration fee of £34.00 is required for each registration
  • The application must be in the prescribed form
  • The authority must deem the applicant and his premises fit to be included in the list of registered premises

The cost to renew a registration is £20.00. To change the registration details a cost of £10.00 will apply.

A local authority may authorise an officer to inspect a premises prior to, or after registration.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Falkirk Council must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply

To become registered to sell non-medical poisons please contact us:

Trading Standards
01324 504950


A public register is available to view at the Council's offices at the address given during normal office hours.

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

If you have a complaint, please contact the trader first, preferably in writing. If you do this by letter, make sure you get proof of delivery.

If you've done this and feel your complaint still hasn't been resolved, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

But if you do not live in the UK, you'll need to contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

For example; complaints about noise, pollution, etc should be directed to the Environmental Protection Unit.

Environmental Protection Unit
Abbotsford House
Davids Loan
01324 504982