Education Maintenance Allowance is a weekly allowance of £30 for 16 to 19 year olds from low-income families who are attending non-advanced full-time education in school, college, community or voluntary provision, or those who are home educated.
The EMA is normally payable fortnightly in arrears to young people who have achieved 100% attendance per week, and who qualify as follows:
- Aged 16-19 between 01 March 2016 – 28 February 2017
- Attend a Falkirk school or working under an Activity Agreement through Falkirk Council
- Live in a household with a total parental 2015-16 taxable income of:
- £24,421 per annum or less (for families with a single dependent child) or
- £26,884 per annum or less (families with more than one dependent child)
How to apply
You can download the EMA application form or collect one from your Secondary
School (school pupils only) or a One Stop Shop:
- EMA application form
You can also request that one be posted to you by calling 01324 590599 or completing the online request form:
Completed forms should be returned to:
Please note that for Data Protection reasons, the EMA staff, schools and the Activity Agreement centre can only discuss certain matters with the young person and not with their parent/carer/advisor. These include individual award amounts, confirmation of payment or reasons for withheld payment.
Contact details, documents and information available on this page are only intended for young people in the Falkirk area. If you study elsewhere, please contact the local authority where you live.