The responsibility for a child's education lies with their parents. In most cases, parents can
decide to educate their child at home. If a child has additional support needs,
parents have the same rights.
Parents do not need to have any qualifications or training to home school their
child. They will have to show they can provide an 'efficient and suitable' education
for their child.
Parents must make sure the Getting It Right for Every Child
values are being met. These values are:
Parents do not need our consent to home school their child if:
- their child has never attended a public school
- their child has never attended a public school in the Falkirk Council area
- their child is being withdrawn from an independent school
- their child has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary
education in another school
- the school the child has been attending has closed
In the last two situations, parents simply need to tell us that they want to home
school their child.
How do I withdraw my child from school?
If you wish to withdraw your child from a school they are already attending, please
The application should include:
- how you will provide an efficient and suitable education for their child
- when the home schooling with start
- what the child's views on home schooling are
We will make a decision on most applications within 30 working days (excluding school
holidays). Your child must attend school until we send you a letter approving your
We have no legal responsibility to provide parents with access to educational resources
and activities if they are home educating.
If you are a parent and are thinking about home schooling, you may find it helpful
to discuss your plans with us. Please contact your child's headteacher.