You may be a carer if you look after someone who is a partner, relative or friend and you get no payment for this. You might provide help like cooking, dressing and feeding.

If you are a carer you may be able to get a carer's allowance and help, such as breaks for you and the person you look after.

Other kinds of help may be available to you and the person you look after. These include home care services and special equipment for the person you look after, information on carer organisations and support services, and benefits advice.

You can find out more about how Falkirk supports carers in our Carer's Strategy: Getting it Right for Carers in Falkirk.

Getting it Right for Carers in Falkirk

Alternatively please contact your local social work office.

Are you a carer?

Carers are people who provide care and support to family members, other relatives, friends and neighbours. The people they care for may be affected by disability, physical or mental health issues (often long-term), frailty, substance misuse or some other condition.

Some carers care intensively while others care for shorter periods. Some carers are life-long carers, while others may care for shorter periods of time.

A carer does not need to be living with the person they care for to be considered a carer. Anybody can become a carer at any time in their life and sometimes for more than one person at a time.

Like many carers you might not see yourself as a carer, but as a parent, child, wife, husband, partner, friend or neighbour.

More information about the support that may be available can be found in the Falkirk eligibility criteria for Unpaid Carers.

Falkirk eligibility criteria for Unpaid Carers
Falkirk Short Breaks Services Statement
Getting it Right for Carers in Falkirk

If you think you are a carer and would like to know what help you may be able to get, please call us on:

Falkirk Council

Or you can contact Falkirk Carers Centre on:

Falkirk Carers Centre

What is a carer's allowance?

The carer’s allowance is a benefit for someone who cares for a person who is ill or disabled. You do not need to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

You must:

  • Be over 16 years
  • Spend 35 hours a week or more caring for someone

The person you care for must get certain benefits, such as Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance, at the middle or highest care rate.

If you receive certain other benefits and these are more than the amount of the Carer’s Allowance, you may still qualify but you will not get any extra money.

If you are working, you can get Carer’s Allowance only if you earn less than £100 per week after tax and deductions.

If you are in full-time education for 21 hours or more a week you can’t get a carer’s allowance.

How to claim carer’s allowance

You will need to complete a claim form from the Carer's Allowance Unit.

If you would like a form, please contact the Carer's Allowance Unit:

Carer's Allowance Unit
Palatine House
Lancaster Road

How we will assess your needs as a carer

You can ask us for a carer’s assessment. We will discuss your support options with you and provide you with the information you may need to help you in your caring role.

You may not have thought about how caring is affecting you. The assessment is an opportunity to think about this and decide what would be best for you and the person you care for.