The Falkirk Registration Office is closed to the public, other than by appointment for limited high priority tasks.
Death and still-birth registrations
A new process of remote registration has been introduced under the Coronavirus Act. This means that death and still-birth registrations can be done by telephone, without any need for the informant to attend the registration office in person.
- If you have chosen to register at this office, we will receive the medical certificate of cause of death via email from the doctor.
- Bereaved families should telephone the registration office and supply their contact details.
- A registrar will call the bereaved family and begin the registration process (this will include asking information about the person who has passed eg parents' names, occupations etc.
- Once registration is complete the Form 14 will be emailed to the funeral director or posted to you if preferred.
- Death certificates purchased after the completion of registration will be posted to you.
- We will not be operating the full Tell Us Once service. However, we will issue a reference number which will enable you to access the service online via gov.uk or you can call on 0800 085 7308
Remote registration is available from Monday to Friday.
We are registering births at our registration office at Old Burgh Buildings in Newmarket Street.
The birth registration procedure has changed to allow for minimal contact and to accommodate physical distancing.
- A registrar will call you on the number you have supplied to gather the information required for the registration, such as the child’s full name, parents' names, date of marriage/civil partnership (if applicable).
- You will be asked on the call if you wish to obtain a full certificate of birth for a fee of £10.00. Payment can be taken over the phone.
- You will be offered an appointment time to call into the office to complete registration and sign the register page.
- Information will be sent to you by email in advance to help you when attending the office – this will include the health and safety measures put in place and what to bring with you.
- After the birth registration is complete, you will be issued with the abbreviated certificate of birth and the EC58 form for the NHS. These are both free of charge. If you have purchased a full certificate of birth, this will also be issued at this time.
- The appointment should last no more than 15 minutes.
Please note that the normal 21-day timeframe for in-person registration of births is currently suspended.
Marriages and Civil Partnerships
We are able to carry out civil ceremonies in line with the Scottish Government's guidance for small marriages and civil partnership registrations. The number of attendees permitted at ceremonies depends on which level of the Scottish Government’s Strategic Framework is currently in place in the Council area.
For your safety, and that of our team, we have procedures and health and safety measures in place for ceremonies which may further limit the number of attendees.
Any bookings that are made with the registration service will be subject to any government restrictions that are in place at the time of the planned ceremony and the Council's health and safety measures. Please contact the registration office if you wish further information.
Couples who have already submitted marriage notice papers and had to postpone their 2020 marriage, will need to re-submit documents. However the statutory fee paid (and Council fees for civil weddings) will be carried over to the new wedding date.
Couples who require to submit marriage notice papers (within 3 months of the date of marriage and no less than 29 days) should note that the office remains closed to the public for submission of notice papers. However, forms can be posted to the registration office, along with copies of the supporting documents. Before issuing the marriage schedule, we will need to see the original documents. You will be given an appointment for this.
Our online ordering service is currently suspended due to high demand for statutory priority services. If you are looking to purchase an extract from an entry registered in Falkirk this year please contact the office direct and they will assist.
The registration team hold citizenship ceremonies on behalf of the Home Office. More information is available from the Home Office.
European Passport Return Service
This service is currently suspended.
You can still telephone or email us: