The government makes Winter Fuel Payments to help with the costs of keeping warm this winter.

Is it for you?

If you were born on or before 05 April 1954 and are receiving the State Pension or another social security benefit (excludes Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit) then you should be entitled to get help to pay your heating bills. This should be paid automatically to you if you are eligible.

If you do not get paid this automatically then you will need to make a claim; you can do this on the Government website.

If you received a Winter Fuel Payment last winter, the Pension Service will automatically send you a payment as long as your circumstances have not changed.

Are you eligible to get this?

To receive this you will need to meet the following:

  • you were born on or before 05 April 1954 and
  • you lived in the UK for at least one day during the week of 16 to 22 September 2019 - this is called the 'qualifying week'.

Qualifying Week

If you did not live in the UK during the qualifying week (16 to 22 September 2019) then you may still be entitled to get this if:

  • you live in Switzerland or an European Economic Area (EEA) country and
  • you have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK such as lived and worked in the UK, having a family in the uk.

When you will not qualify

You will not be eligible if you:

  • live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK
  • are in hospital getting free treatment for more than a year
  • need permission to enter the UK and your granted leave states that you can not claim public funds
  • were in prison for the whole week between 16 to 22 September 2019
  • lived in a care home for the whole time between 24 June to 22 September 2019, and got Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

If you qualify this is what you will get

If you are entitled to receive a Winter Fuel Payment, you will get between £100 and £300 depending on your circumstances.

Any money you get is tax-free and will not affect your other benefits.

More information on payments can be found on the Government website.

More information

For more information call or visit: