Latest update

Falkirk Council teachers and associated professionals in receipt of Universal Credit could be adversely affected by the Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers pay settlement.

The rise together with the backdated pay award, which was agreed on April 25th, will be added to teachers and associated professionals’ payslips in May and June.

This means the amount of take-home pay for Universal Credit claimants in those months will be higher than normal and could result in:

  • The amount of Universal Credit claimants receive either being lower than normal, or
  • The Universal Credit claim could close as the amount is too high to qualify for support.

If you receive Universal Credit the amount you get changes if your take-home pay changes within your assessment period. This includes awards of backdated pay.

Because Universal Credit is based on your own personal circumstances, the Council does not know if you may be affected.

If your claim does close because of the increase and backdated award you will see a message on your Universal Credit Journal telling you about this.

What do I do if my claim closes?

Universal Credit payments do not start again automatically. You must start up your claim again. You should do this as soon as you can to make sure you do not miss out.

To reclaim, log into your Universal Credit Journal and select the 'Reclaim tab’ at the bottom of the screen. You will then have to answer a few simple questions.

If you have problems re-starting your claim, you should contact your Work Coach in the first instance

Further help can be obtained from Jobcentre Plus staff.

An overview of Universal Credit can be found at or you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0345 600 0723.

Effects on rent payments

If Universal Credit sends rent payments direct to a claimant’s landlord (including Falkirk Council, Registered Social Landlord or a private landlord) on their behalf, the payment may also be affected due to the increase in wages and backdated pay.

If your Universal Credit reduces in June and/or July, you will need to pay your rent from the increased wages you have received in May and June.  If you have questions regarding changes to their rent payment call 01324 506999 for advice.

If you have any problems with your current Universal Credit you can contact:

Community Advice Team
Debt advice

or call into: