Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

The Falkirk registration office is open for high priority tasks by appointment only.

For the latest on Registrar services please see our dedicated page.

For more information on Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Any birth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within 21 days. This can be done at our registration office or at any registration office in Scotland.

Who can register a birth?

When the parents are married or in a civil partnership, the child's mother, father or second female parent can register the birth.

If the parents are not married or in a civil partnership, the father or second female parent can only be recorded if:

  • The parents sign the register together
  • They sign declarations
  • A court declares parentage

How to make an appointment

Please call our office Monday – Friday between 9:30am and 4:30pm to arrange your appointment. If you need to change or cancel your appointment please contact us as soon as possible

What to take with you

When you go to the office to register the birth you should take these documents with you, if you have them:

  • The birth registration envelope that was issued by the hospital or midwife showing details of the baby and information about how to register the birth
  • Parents' marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Parents' birth certificate(s)

What we will give you

After the birth has been registered, we will give you the following forms free of charge:

  • A form to give to the health centre to register your baby with a doctor (EC58)
  • An abbreviated birth certificate

If you would like a full birth certificate, you will be able to purchase one.

Best Start Grant

The Best Start Grant) is a package of three grants that will give money to parents and carers on low income during the early years of a child's life.

Tell Us Once

After the registration, you can use the Tell Us Once service:

Tell Us Once - Births

This service will tell central government of the birth. To use this service, you will need to bring your completed Child Benefit application form with you.