Hate incidents should not happen, but they still do.
You can do something to protect yourself.
What is a hate incident?
If you, your family or friends have been made to feel worried or scared because of what someone has said or done to you and this is because of your race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or because you have changed your gender this is called a hate incident.
In some cases this is a crime and can include: verbal abuse, physical attack, damage to your property, graffiti, bullying and arson.
If you believe you have experienced harassment or a hate incident - report it.
Who do I report an incident to?
You report the incident on line through the Police Scotland website.
If you witness something happening to someone else you can still report it using the link above. If you see something serious which could cause injury to someone; call 999.
What happens when I report an incident?
- You will be asked for details about where and when the incident happened and if
you know who was responsible.
- You will then be asked if you would like the incident referred to other agencies
that can help you.
- You simply say yes to those you want help from.
- If you don't want any further action or help that is no problem.
- It is important to report incidents.
- You do not have to leave your name.
The information is important as it can be used to improve safety and security across Falkirk.
Central Scotland Regional Equality Council (CSREC)
Central Scotland Regional Equality Council (CSREC) is the monitoring agent for the multi agency hate response strategy. One of the main tasks is to prepare reports on a quarterly and annual basis providing detailed analysis of hate incidents reported to each partner agency and community group, throughout the Forth Valley area.
The partners include:
- Police Scotland
- Crown office & Procurator Fiscal office
- Falkirk, Clackmannanshire and Stirling Councils
- Forth Valley College
- Victim Support
The statistical data returns help identify trends, patterns in locations and types of behaviour.