Stenhousemuir town centre regeneration
The multi-million pound regeneration of Stenhousemuir town centre is now complete and the town centre now includes:
- An Asda foodstore
- A new library (with a distinctive wave shaped roof), providing additional
- Retail space:
- 12,000sqft located between the library and Asda
- 12,000sqft on King Street
- 9,150sqft located next to Asda
- Crownest Street park:
- a new play area
- football pitch and changing rooms
- newly developed Lido wrapping around the library
- The new Tryst Community Centre
- A new health centre
- A new access road off the B905
- The "Heart of Stenhousemuir" piece which shows the town's history of livestock droving, the world famous McCowan's toffee factory and iron foundry past.
- Landscaped civic spaces - including a new town square
- A new Shopmobility scheme
- A new bus lane and bus service. The new bus route covers the new hospital (service 233) and provides a regular service through the town centre.
- The old Co-op building has been refurbished and rented to a new tenant.
- New town centre signage.
The Lido pool was completely remodelled and the work left the pool with little plant or animal life.
As the pool is shallow, the nutrient levels of the incoming water are very high.
The work raised the nutrient levels even more and there was no aquatic planting
to tackle this.
We put in a wide variety of native plants around the pool including flag iris, water
lilies, water mint, purple loosestrife and marsh marigold. These help to keep the
water clear of algae by using up all the nutrients coming in. They also provide
a home for a number of animals.
Interpretation signage has been added to highlight the wildlife and plant life in and around the pond.