Every parent and carer who has a child of school age must provide that child with an education suitable to their age and ability. You must do this by making sure your child regularly attends school or by other means, such as home schooling. We have a duty to provide appropriate education for all children over 5 years and under 16 years of age.

Each school serves an area which is known as the school catchment. Each address in the Falkirk Council area is allocated a primary and secondary denominational and non-denominational school.

Most children attend their catchment school but you may choose another school via submission of a placing request

At the beginning of primary 1, you can choose to send your child to your catchment area non-denominational or denominational school if they are baptised Roman Catholic. A copy RC baptismal certificate must be provided.

Primary School enrolment

The start date for the 2019-2020 session is 21 August 2019.

Schools enrol pupils in January each year. Parents enrol children by going along in person to the catchment school. Enrolment dates and times will be displayed on school webpages from November. Please contact your school if you miss the enrolment dates.

On enrolment day you will be asked to complete an enrolment form, provide a copy of your child's birth certificate and evidence of your home address. If you have requested your child attends a Roman Catholic school and your child is baptised Roman Catholic, you must provide a copy of the baptismal certificate.

At what age can my child start school?

If your child becomes 5 after 01 March 2019 and on or before 21 August 2019, your child must start school in August 2019.

Children who become 5 after 21 August 2019 but before 01 March 2020 can also start school in August 2019.

If your child is only 4 years of age at the start of the session in August 2019, you can choose to delay your child's entry into primary 1.

Additional Pre-school year

Children who become 5 years of age after 28 February 2018 are not entitled to start primary education until August 2018. You can request for your child to start earlier using our early entry application.

Early entry to school form

You can read our Admissions policy to see how we prioritise admissions to schools for both enrolments and placing requests.

Admissions Policy

Secondary School enrolment

Most children will transfer to the catchment secondary school for their home address once they have finished primary school. If a secondary 1 pupil would like to attend a high school which is not their catchment high school, they must submit a placing request. Transfers between denominational and non-denominational schools also need a placing request.

Parents of primary 7 pupils will be told of the transition arrangements to high school each November. Pupils seeking a place at high school through a placing request will be included in transition arrangements to the requested high school wherever possible. This is because transition arrangements begin before decisions about a placing request are made.