You may be able to get some extra help to help you live at home independently. This could range from help to get washed and dressed to help with your shopping and housework. You will need a care assessment before we can decide what services you can get.

Who can get this kind of help at home?

You may be able to get extra help at home if you have:

  • Confusion or dementia
  • A physical disability or you are frail
  • A sensory impairment
  • A mental health problem
  • A learning disability
  • A drug or alcohol problem

What kind of help is available?

You might benefit from extra help with:

  • Personal care, such as getting washed and dressed, going to the toilet or bathing
  • Practical help, such as help with your laundry, meals or housework

Assessing what help you need

You will need to let us know if you think you need some extra help at home. To do this, call, email or visit your local Social Work office.

We will arrange to visit you to talk about the things you need help with. This is called a care assessment.

Together, we will write your care plan telling you about the care you will get from us. If we need to share this care plan with other people, for example a health professional, we will explain why. We will always ask for your permission before we do this.

We will agree what help we are able to give you. This is called your care package. We will tell you when your care will start.

Are you a registered care service?

Yes, we are registered with the Care Inspectorate. You can view our inspection reports on their website or ask your home care manager for a copy.

Paying for the help you receive

You may have to pay for the care we have agreed in your plan. If you do, we will explain how much the care will cost and how you can pay.

If you are finding it difficult to cook for yourself or are unable to do your own cooking, we may be able to help. We can do this by assessing if you can use our meals at home service.