If you are feeling anxious, depressed, having intrusive or suicidal thoughts or having panic attacks, it is important to get help.

Your first point of contact should be your GP. They will discuss the options available to you.

One of these options may be a referral to our community care service. If you are referred to us, we will assess your needs to work out how critical your needs are.

We will let you know:

  • If you will get any services
  • The level and amount of services you will receive
  • Who provides your services

How we assess your needs

To make sure our decisions are fair, everyone has to meet a set of national conditions, called eligibility criteria. The criteria helps us to identify the people who are at the greatest risk.

The eligibility criteria has four levels:


This means there are major risks to your independent living or health and wellbeing. You are likely to need require services immediately or urgently.


This means there are significant risks to your independent living or health and wellbeing. You are likely to need services immediately or urgently.


This means there are some risks to your independent living or health and wellbeing.


This means there may be some problems with your quality of life, but low risks to your independence and wellbeing.

We aim to carry out assessments for people whose needs are critical within one day, and within ten days if their needs are substantial. For people whose needs are moderate to low, we aim to complete assessments within three months.

What services are there for people with a mental health problem?

Various services are available in the Falkirk Council area to help adults with a mental illness or mental health problem and their carers. Two important services are Mental Health Officers (MHOs) and Integrated Community Mental Health Teams.

Other services include:

  • Day opportunities including Dunrowan Day Hospital, Westbank Clinic and Caledonia Clubhouse, which works with people affected by long-term mental illness
  • Community rehabilitation services, which help you to live as part of the wider community
  • Psychological services
  • Specialist support organisations, such as Falkirk and District Mental Health Association
  • Short breaks for you or for someone who is caring for you
  • Advocacy
  • Hospital-based psychiatric services
  • Residential care
  • We can tell you how to get these services if you need them.