By law we have a duty to control the importation of non-EU foodstuffs.

Products of animal origin (POAO)

Importers bringing in POAO must have their consignment cleared at an EU Border Inspection Post (BIP) before arriving at Grangemouth. You must also have a Certificate of Veterinary Examination Document (CVED). All conditions for your consignment should be met before import. You may face penalties for non-compliance, including your consignment being re-exported or destroyed.

There are controls on food and feed imported from Japan. More information is available on the Food Standards website.

Advice is freely available from the Food Standards Scotland website or by contacting the Duty Port Health Officer.

EU Border Control information can be found on the European Commission website.

UK legislation is available on the Office of Public Sector Information website.

HM Revenue & Customs are responsible for the control of smuggled illegal food imports.

Imported food of non-animal origin

Grangemouth is not a Designated Point of Entry (DPE) for some food cargoes, including types of peppers, nuts and vine fruits. A DPE and Certificate of Entry (CED) are needed before you arrive at Grangemouth or consignments could be re-exported or destroyed.

Imported food cargoes are checked to make sure they comply with a number of regulations. We take samples to test and make sure the cargo meets regulations. Rejected cargoes are re-exported or destroyed. They may be allowed to proceed under strict supervision under some circumstances.

Plastic kitchenware

To import plastic kitchenware from China or Hong Kong you must meet The Plastic Kitchenware (Conditions on Imports from China) (Scotland) Regulations 2011.

Organic imports

We must be notified of the organic produce being imported before its arrival. Each cargo needs a Certificate of Inspection from its country of origin so our inspectors can verify these cargoes. This service has a charge and importers should consult our inspectors.

More information is available from DEFRA.

You can get an export certificate from our office and there will be an inspection and service charge, see below:

Description VAT Applicable Cost
Verification Certificate for Import of Organic Foods No £45.00

Personal food imports

More information on this is available from the GOV.UK website.