Falkirk Council operates a number of CCTV cameras in and around its premises. This notice provides details of what information we collect from you, what we do with it, and who it might be shared with.
Identity and contact details of the controller and the data protection officer
Falkirk Council is the data controller. You can contact the data protection officer at:
Frequently asked questions
Why do we collect this information?
The information is being collected for the following purposes:
- To enhance the security of our premises and our assets.
- To enhance the safety of our staff, pupils, service users, customers and any others who visit our premises.
- To prevent and detect crime (particularly, but not restricted to, vandalism or the theft of Council property).
- To provide information on vehicle weights and the associated registration plate details.
The legal basis for each purpose is set out below:
|Performance of a contract
|Task carried out in the public interest
What information do we collect about you?
We may monitor and record images of you and/or your vehicle in or around Council premises. Images from these cameras may be monitored on both a live and recorded basis.
Where do we collect information from?
Images come from a number of CCTV cameras located in and around Council premises. Public notices are displayed where these cameras are located, meaning cameras are clearly visible and surveillance is general in nature.
Who might we share your information with?
In cases of suspected criminal activity the images may be passed to Police Scotland and/or the Procurator Fiscal for investigation and possible prosecution. Disclosure may also be made to other law enforcement agencies (for example Customs and Excise) and other public bodies with regulatory functions (which includes other services within the council).
Police Scotland and other law enforcement agencies may, on showing good cause, request copies of images or access to monitoring screens. In general such requests will be complied with.
Will we send your information outwith the UK?
The information we monitor/record will not be sent outwith the UK unless a valid request is made from a foreign law enforcement agency.
How long do we keep hold of your information?
We keep your information as long as required by law or by our business requirements. We have a Business Classification Scheme in place which sets out the types of records we hold, and how long we hold them - you can access the relevant part of the scheme below.
What are my rights in relation to the information held about me?
You have the following rights:
- To see any information held about you by making a subject access request.
- To withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis for processing is consent.
- To data portability, where the legal basis for processing is (i) consent or (ii) performance of a contract.
- To request rectification or erasure of your information, where data protection legislation allows this.
Do I have a right to complain about the way information has been used?
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please let us know and we will try to resolve this. If you are still concerned, you can contact the Information Commissioner:
Do I have to provide my personal data to you?
We cannot prevent your image being captured if you are in public places which are covered by a CCTV camera.
Do you use any automated processes to make decisions about me?
We do not use automated decision making processes.
This notice was last updated in May 2018.