This notice provides details of what information we collect from you, what we do with it, and who it might be shared with.

Identity and contact details of the controller and the data protection officer

For objections or representations to the Licensing Board (alcohol and gambling), Falkirk Council Licensing Board is the data controller. The Licensing Board has appointed Falkirk Council’s data protection officer to fulfil this role on their behalf.

For objections or representations to the Licensing Authority (civic, taxi/private hire, HMOs, public processions), Falkirk Council is the data controller.

Falkirk Council is the data controller. You can contact the data protection officer at:

Data Protection Officer
The Foundry
4 Central Boulevard, Central Park

Frequently asked questions

  1. Table of contents

Why do we collect this information?

The information is being collected for the following purpose/s:

  1. The processing of your objection or representation.
  2. The determination of your objection or representation.

The legal basis for each purpose is set out below:

Legal basis Purpose
Performance of a contract  
Legal obligation 1, 2
Vital interests  
Task carried out in the public interest 1, 2
Legitimate interests  

We need information about you to deal with your objection or representation in terms of:

  • Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
  • Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982
  • Housing Act 2006

What information do we collect about you?

We collect your name, address, e-mail address and phone number. We also keep copies of your communications with us and our responses.

Where do we collect information from?

We collect information from you.

Who might we share your information with?

Your information will be shared with the applicant and/or his/her agent

The Council has a duty to protect public funds. We may check your information within the Council for verification purposes and/or for the prevention of fraud. We may share your information with other organisations where we are required to do so for the purposes of the prevention or detection of crime.

Will we send your information outwith the UK?

We do not transfer your information outwith the UK.

How long do we keep hold of your information?

  • Where an application for the grant of a licence to which you have objected or made representations about is refused by the Licensing Board or Civic Licensing committee, information relating to that application will be retained for the current year and the following 6 years. It will then be destroyed.
  • In any other case, information relating to that licence will be retained for the current year and the following 6 years from the date the licence ceases to have effect. It will then be destroyed.

What are my rights in relation to the information held about me?

You have the following rights:

  • To see any information held about you by making a subject access request.
  • To withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis for processing is consent.
  • To data portability, where the legal basis for processing is (i) consent or (ii) performance of a contract.
  • To request rectification or erasure of your information, where data protection legislation allows this.

Do I have a right to complain about the way information has been used?

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please let us know and we will try to resolve this. If you are still concerned, you can contact the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane
or if you prefer to use a national rate number:

Do I have to provide my personal data to you?

No. If you do not provide your name and address as part of your objection or representation we will not be able to accept it. The law says that details of any objection or representation, including details of the person who has made it, must be given to the applicant or his agent.

Do you use any automated processes to make decisions about me?

We do not use automated decision making processes with Cinema Licence Application.

This notice was last updated in May 2018.