This notice provides details of what information we collect from you, what we do with it, and who it might be shared with.
Identity and contact details of the controller and the data protection officer
Falkirk Council is the data controller. You can contact the data protection officer at:
Frequently asked questions
Why do we collect this information?
The information is being collected for the following purpose:
- For statistical and research purposes
- To improve and develop education services and parental involvement and engagement
- To evaluate our surveys so that we can provide you with a better experience
The legal basis for each purpose is set out below:
|Performance of a contract
|Task carried out in the public interest
What information do we collect about you?
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give when responding to specific surveys, relating to your opinions, attitudes and experiences of Council Education services in your local area
- Socio-demographic information, including your postcode, age, gender and ethnicity for statistical and research purposes. You can choose not to provide this.
- Details of your visit to our website, including operating system and browser type, visited pages and IP address.
Where do we collect information from?
We collect information from you when you respond to a survey via a system called SmartSurvey which is a UK-based provider of digital survey solutions. Our systems also collect information on your use of our site and record your IP address, operating system and browser type, and pages visited.
Who might we share your information with?
The Scottish Government acts as the Council's processor for SmartSurvey responses, which are sub-processed by SmartSurvey Limited. Responses are analysed and used in reports about the findings of the survey. SmartSurvey results will also be shared with Scottish Government for analytical and statistical/research purposes. You will not be identifiable if we (or the Scottish Government) publish any reports based on survey responses. Reports may be published on our website and will, therefore, be shared with the public.
Will we send your information outwith the UK?
Your information is kept mainly in the UK. However, in limited circumstances SmartSurvey Limited uses sub-processors which are based outwith the UK.
How long do we keep hold of your information?
We keep your information as long as required by law or by our business requirements. We have a Business Classification Scheme in place which sets out the types of records we hold, and how long we hold them - you can access the relevant part of the scheme below.
- Education and Skills
What are my rights in relation to the information held about me?
You have the following rights:
- To see any information held about you by making a subject access request.
- To withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis for processing is consent.
- To data portability, where the legal basis for processing is (i) consent or (ii) performance of a contract.
- To request rectification or erasure of your information, where data protection legislation allows this.
Do I have a right to complain about the way information has been used?
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please let us know and we will try to resolve this. If you are still concerned, you can contact the Information Commissioner:
Do I have to provide my personal data to you?
Your response to surveys is completely voluntary. You do not have to provide information to us but this may prevent you from taking part in public consultation activities.
Do you use any automated processes to make decisions about me?
We do not use any automated processes to make decisions about your entitlement to EMA.
This notice was last updated in May 2019.