As your new recycling service is designed to maximise the quality of the collected materials, and to avoid the possibility of your bin not being uplifted by the collection crew, please be aware of the following:
- No plastic bags should be placed in either the burgundy (paper & card) or blue (plastics, cans or cartons) bins. If you use plastics bags to collect your materials, please tip the content into the bin and place the emptied plastic bags in the green (landfill) bin
- Food containers, such as plastic trays or pizza boxes should not contain food – if they contain food they can't be recycled and should be placed in the green (landfill) bin
Your burgundy bin is collected every 4 weeks from the kerbside or the agreed collection point.
You can recycle paper, card and cardboard in your burgundy bin. It is important all of these materials are recycled in the burgundy bin and not put in the wrong containers.
How do I use my burgundy bin?
- Collect and prepare your materials for recycling
- Flattening or tearing up cardboard boxes frees up more space in your bin
- Place your paper, card and cardboard into your burgundy bin
- Place your burgundy bin at the kerbside on your collection day
Your bin must be at the kerbside or agreed collection point by 6:30am on the morning of your collection day.
Top tips on using your burgundy bin
- Flatten and tear up cardboard boxes to save space.
- Remove plastic wrapping from junk mail or magazines.
- Materials should be loose, not bagged.
What materials can I recycle in my burgundy bin?
Paper (clean and dry)
- Letters and envelopes (including windows)
- Paper food packaging
- Yellow Pages
- Wrapping paper
- Office and shredded paper
- Junk mail
- Paperback books (can also be reused via charity shops or recycling centres
- Cereal boxes
- Large and small cardboard boxes (large cardboard boxes can also be taken to one of the recycling centres
- Cardboard packaging
- Greetings cards
- Brown corrugated boxes
- Toilet and kitchen roll tubes
- Egg boxes
Please DO NOT PUT the following materials in your burgundy bin:
If you are not sure if a material can be placed in your burgundy bin, please contact us:
If your burgundy bin contains the wrong material, we will advise you by placing a sticker on the bin. The bin will not be uplifted. Any wrong material must be removed and placed in the correct bin/container. The bin can then be presented again on the next scheduled collection day.