Your green bin is only for materials that cannot be recycled through the kerbside recycling service (burgundy bin, blue bin, brown bin, food waste caddy, black box or textile bag) or at a recycling centre.
The Council will collect your green bin once every 4 weeks. On your collection day please present your bin at the kerbside or agreed location by 6:30am on the morning of your collection.
We need you to use all the available kerbside recycling containers including the weekly food waste service to recycle as much of your waste as possible. This will reduce the amount of material you put in your green bin.
How do I use my green bin?
- Please do not present bagged waste next to your green bin, the collection teams will not collect it.
- Your bin lid must be closed. This reduces the risk of spillages and wind blown litter.
- Do not put food waste in your green bin. Your food waste can be recycled using the weekly kerbside food waste caddy collection service.
- Any material that can be recycled in the burgundy bin, blue bin, brown bin, black box or textile bag must not be placed in your green bin. If these materials are in your green bin it will not be emptied. More information about bins that have not been emptied can be found on our missed bins page.
What can I put in my green bin?
- Nappies (disposable nappies can be collected via the AHP collection service)
- Incontinence products (incontinence products can be collected via the AHP collection service)
- Paint tins
- Animal waste
- Cold ashes
- Plastic film (you can take clean plastic film to local supermarket plastic bag recycling points)
- Plastic foil such as crisp packets and sweet wrappers
- Vacuum dust
- Any other items not currently accepted in the kerbside recycling service
Batteries should be recycled in your black box collection. Disposing of batteries in the green bin is a fire risk.
Larger green bins
Requests for a larger green bin will be considered on an individual basis. You must apply for a larger green bin, which requires you to complete an application form and also a waste audit diary. If you do not use all the kerbside recycling services including the weekly food waste service we will not consider your larger green bin application.
Special arrangements will be made for some householders if, for example, there is a medical requirement. These arrangements will be considered on an individual basis.
If you think you need a larger green bin, please email: