We understand this can be a very difficult and upsetting time, in this section there is information and guidance aimed at helping you through the registration process.

Any stillbirth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within 21 days. This can be done at our registration office or at any registration office in Scotland.

It is also possible to register a stillbirth by phone if this is easier for you. This follows direction made by the Chief Registrar.

Who can register a stillbirth?

When the parents are married or in a civil partnership, the child's mother, father or second female parent can register the stillbirth.

If the parents are not married or in a civil partnership, the father or second female parent can only be recorded if:

  • The parents sign the register together
  • They sign declarations
  • A court declares parentage

Certificate of Stillbirth

The certificate of stillbirth (Form 6) is emailed direct to the registration office of your choice by the midwife or doctor.

Documents you will require

When registering the stillbirth, you should bring the following documents with you if you have them:

  • Parents' marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Parents' birth certificate(s)

What we will give you

After registration, you will be issued with the following free of charge:

  • A stillbirth extract, if wished.
  • Certificate of Registration of Still-birth (Form 8). This is required by the Funeral Director for burial or cremation purposes. This form is normally sent to them directly by email.