1. Table of contents

Emergency planning

What is Emergency Planning?

We have a legal duty to make sure that we cope well with any emergency or disruption.

Our aim is to raise awareness of hazards and threats and protect local people and the environment from them as best we can.

Why does the council need emergency plans?

We prepare emergency contingency plans to ensure that we can respond effectively to emergencies in the area and provide support for the emergency services and to the local community.

The plans provide guidance for staff on how to deal with emergency situations. The introduction of the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 requires local authorities, to prepare contingency plans and develop response arrangements for a wide range of major emergencies.

What type of emergency does the council plan for?

We have a number of plans in place which provide staff with appropriate guidance when responding to an incident.

The Emergency Response Procedure is a generic plan which can be used for many types of incidents. These could include major fires, floods, other severe weather events, gas explosions, and terrorist attacks. In the first stages of the emergency, we are likely to be asked for support by the Emergency Services.

Who is responsible for the council's emergency plans?

The Civil Contingencies Team manage our emergency plans and supporting arrangements on behalf of the Chief Executive.  Staff who are likely to be involved in a response participate in and/or observe planned exercises or events. Services will also work closely with the team to review or develop contingency plans.

How does the council get alerted to an incident?

The Emergency Services or a member of the public calling our Contact Centre can tell us that an incident is about to take place or has already happened.

Our response to the incident will be coordinated throughout the incident, by our managers depending on the scale of the incident

Senior management will be alerted by our Tactical Managers as part of a multi-agency response group. This will occur if the incident escalates and the Incident Management Suite has been activated.


Who should I contact to report flooding?

Flooding of the road network

Road Maintenance Team
01324 506070

All other flooding enquiries

Flooding Team *
01324 506070

*The Flooding Team email inbox is only monitored during normal office hours Mon - Fri.

Flooding contaminated by sewage

Scottish Water Flooding Team
0800 0778 778

Where can I get advice on flooding?

SEPA’s National Flood Risk Assessment tool and Flood Maps allow you to check flood risk in your area.

Flood alerts

If your property is in an area prone to flooding, you should sign up to SEPA's Floodline. You can receive flood alerts straight to your phone.

SEPA Floodline
0345 988 118

24-hour telephone service to get up-to-date information and advice.

Protecting your property - who is responsible?

Under common law, it is the property occupier/owner's responsibility to protect their property from all natural hazards including flooding. This includes taking steps to reduce the risk of flooding, provided that these actions do not increase the risk of flooding to other properties.

Riparian owners (someone who has any watercourse within or adjacent to any boundary of their property) have the prime responsibility to maintain their element of a watercourse. Owners can be held liable under common law if they cause flooding to their neighbours through actions such as dumping rubbish.

If you live in a flood-prone area you should prepare an emergency plan to safeguard you and your property. 

SEPA, the Scottish Government and the Scottish Flood Forum have very useful information on how to prepare for flooding. 

You can find more information about what to do in an emergency on our Flooding page.

Drains - who is responsible?

Scottish Water have the public drainage duty and are responsible for the drainage of rainwater run-off (surface water) from roofs, and any paved ground surface within the property boundary.

Additionally, they help protect homes from flooding caused by sewers either overflowing or becoming blocked.

Private pipe work or guttering within a property boundary is the responsibility of the homeowner.

Major accidents & hazards

Are there plans for emergencies such as oil and environmental pollution?

Yes, there are specific plans in place for these types of incident and the emergency services, local authority and industrial partners regularly test these plans.

If an incident took place in an industrial site, what measures are in place to ensure the safety of residents living near the site and how would they be informed?

The Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations ensure that industrial companies provide emergency leaflets with guidance and instructions and other relevant information to residents who live within the Public Information Zone (PIZ).

What do I do if I am affected by an incident?

It will very much depend on the incident type. Best guidance is to 'go in, stay in and tune in' to local radio and always listen to the advice provided by the Emergency Services. 

What happens if I need to be evacuated? Where will I go?

We, as far as possible, will provide care and welfare for you if affected by an emergency. We have a range of identified rest centres available for use.

These locations are provided for the temporary care and welfare of people who have been displaced in an emergency.

Volunteers and council staff teams have been trained in managing and operating these centres.

In the event of an emergency incident how will I find out what's going if I do not have access to the internet?

Local radio and TV stations will provide you with regular updates on the situation and any important developments. In certain circumstances loud-speakers may be used by emergency services in the area affected or they may carry out door-to door visits.