Black box / textile bag

What happens to the materials I put in my black box and textile bag?

Your glass is sorted into the different colours at the kerbside and recycled.

Your textiles are sent for reuse. Textiles that cannot be reused are recycled into industrial cloth or new materials.

Can I have a black box and textile bag if I live in a flat?

Yes. If you would like to recycle using the black box and textile bag, please contact us via

How do I order a replacement black box / textile bags?

You can request a replacement black box or textile bags by completing the request a replacement bin form.

Blue bins

What happens to the materials I put in my blue bin?

Your blue bin materials are taken to a recycling facility where they are turned into new plastic containers, cans, newspapers and cardboard.

I live in a flat, how do I recycle?

If you live in a flat, you will be provided with an individual blue bin or a bulk blue bin for recycling. Blue bins are collected every 2 weeks.

If you have an individual blue bin, it must be at the kerbside or agreed collection point by 6:30am on collection day. If you have a bulk blue recycling bin, we will empty it every 2 weeks and return it to your bin storage area.


Do I put my recycling into bags before putting it in the blue bin?

No, your recyclable material must be loose in the bin.

What should I do after my bin is emptied?

If you have an individual blue recycling bin, it is your responsibility to return it to your property. If you receive an assisted collection where the bin is collected from the property, or you have a bulk recycling bin, it will be returned by the collection team after emptying. 

Food waste

What can I put in my food waste caddy?

All types of food waste - cooked and uncooked.

  • Dairy and eggshells
  • Meat and fish – raw and cooked including bones
  • Fruit
  • Vegetables
  • Bread, cakes and pastries
  • Rice, pasta and beans
  • Teabags and coffee grounds
  • Pizza
  • Pet food
  • Uneaten food from your plates and dishes

Do not put these items in the food waste caddy:

  • Oils and fats
  • Liquids

How do I use my food waste caddies?

The food waste caddy is easy to use. All you need to do is line the kitchen caddy with a plastic bag, compostable liner or newspaper. When the kitchen caddy is full, tie a knot in the bag and place it in your kerbside caddy.

Please do not place plastic containers in your food waste caddies. If you find an out of date yoghurt pot in your fridge, empty the contents into your kitchen caddy, rinse the container and place it in your blue bin for recycling.

What happens to my food waste?

Your food waste is taken to a special processing plant where it can generate renewable energy and be recycled into fertiliser for Scottish farmers.

Where does food waste come from?

Food waste can come from the following sources: 

  • Buying too much
  • Out of date food left in fridge or cupboards
  • Leftovers from preparation 
  • Leftovers from meals

Will the food in my caddy smell?

No, the kitchen caddy will not smell if you regularly empty it into your kerbside caddy. 

Lining the kitchen caddy with a plastic bag makes it easy and hygienic to empty into the kerbside caddy. 

I don’t have time to do this – why should I?

It is important to reduce the amount of food waste going to landfill as it generates methane, a green house gas that is harmful to the environment. 

Can I use plastic bags to line my caddy?

Yes, you can. 

You can also use newspaper as a liner. Local retailers and supermarkets also supply biodegradable liners.

Is it not better to reduce food waste than recycle it?

Yes, because evidence suggests that reducing food waste saves money on food bills. 

Please visit Love Food Hate Waste for advice on how to use your leftover food.

Can I continue to compost at home?

Yes, if you already compost at home please keep composting your uncooked vegetable and fruit peelings in your compost bin or heap.

What if my kerbside caddy gets too full?

Please visit Love Food Hate Waste for advice on how to use your leftover food.

A second kerbside caddy can be provided by contacting the Recycling Helpline on 01324 506070.

How do I request additional or replacement food waste caddies?

You can request additional and replacement food waste recycling caddies by completing the request a bin form.

Can I recycle my food waste if I live in a flat?

Yes. If you have not already received a food waste kitchen and kerbside caddy and you want to recycle your food waste, please telephone 01324 506070 or email

Should I present my kerbside caddy even if there is an only small amount of waste in it?

Yes, you should. 

Regularly putting your kerbside caddy out for collection helps keep your caddy clean.

Green bins

What happens to the waste in my green bin?

The little waste left in your green bin is taken to landfill, which means it is simply buried in the ground. Sending waste to landfill is not good for the environment.

Why is my green collection moving to once every 4 weeks?

We are currently facing an unprecedented set of financial challenges to all our departments. This has meant that savings of £25 million have to be made for 2016/17. Part of bridging this funding gap requires changes to be made to the collection frequency of the green bin. As well as reducing costs, the change will also help reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill.

My green has not been emptied today, why?

Your green bin may not be emptied if it contains material or food waste that can be recycled through the kerbside collection service.

If your bin contains the wrong material, we will advise you by placing a sticker on the bin and your bin will not be emptied. You must remove the wrong material from your green bin and place it in the correct container. We will then arrange to uplift the bin on your next scheduled collection, once we have been notified that contamination has been removed. 

Householders that continue to contaminate their bins will be sent a postcard/letter advising them of the contamination issue and a visit by a Council officer who will discuss the contamination issue directly with the householder. 

More information can be found on our Missed bins page.

Can I have a larger green bin?

Requests for a larger green bin will be considered on an individual basis. You must apply for a larger green bin, which requires you to complete an application form and also a waste audit diary. If you do not use all the kerbside recycling services including the weekly food waste service we will not consider your larger green bin application.

Special arrangements will be made for some householders if, for example, there is a medical requirement. These arrangements will be considered on an individual basis.

If you think you need a larger green bin, please email

I live in a flat, will my green bin collection change?

Some properties, such as high rise flats, will not be included in the change to the green bin collection. If you do not receive a letter from us regarding the changes to your green bin you are not moving to the 4-weekly green bin collection.

Should any change to your collection be likely, this will be communicated in advance by the Council.