Biodiversity is the whole variety of life on earth, from the tiniest bug to the mightiest tree, and includes every living plant and animal. It is vital to keep the diversity of life on the planet as abundant and diverse as possible for our health and prosperity, and for future generations.
Second Nature: A Biodiversity Action Plan for the Falkirk Council area
"Second Nature" is the 3rd Biodiversity Action Plan for the Falkirk Council area. It includes lots of actions and projects to help our local wildlife. We are working with many different organisations, community groups and individuals to put it into action.
- Second Nature - A Biodiversity Action Plan for the Falkirk Council Area
Biodiversity Duty Report
We have a legal duty to protect and conserve biodiversity and we must report how we have done this. The Biodiversity duty reports below detail this for the periods 2011-2014 and 2015-2017.
- Biodiversity Duty Report - 2015 to 2017
- Biodiversity Duty Report - 2011 to 2014
Biodiversity and development
Development of all kinds can put pressure on our natural environment. However development
and biodiversity conservation need not be mutually exclusive and can work together.
Advice to assist developers to meet the Council's biodiversity objectives is given
in supplementary guidance:
- Biodiversity and Development SPG
To safeguard our local biodiversity we have to know which plants, animals and habitats
can be found locally and whether they need action to conserve them.
'The Biodiversity of Falkirk: an assessment of priority habitats and species' was
produced in April 2000 and looks at over 250 different habitats, plants and animals
that occur in the Falkirk Council area. For each of these habitats and species a
brief statement about its local extent and significance is provided, as well as
an indication of the main threats to it.
More information can be found in The Biodiversity of Falkirk Audit:
- The Biodiversity of Falkirk Audit
News and events
There is lots going on in the Falkirk area to help conserve our local biodiversity.
You can download our biodiversity newsletter below:
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 18 - autumn 2016
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 17 - winter 2015
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 16 - summer 2014
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 15 - winter 2013
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 14 - winter 2012
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 13 - winter 2011
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 12 - spring 2011
- Biodiversity newsletter vol 11 - summer 2010