You can get help if you have a physical disability.

  1. Table of contents

What help you can get

  • Advice from the Disability Information Service (DIS)
  • We can help you check and apply for any benefits you are entitled to
  • Help with personal care, such as a washing or cooking meals
  • Visits to community groups
  • We can install an alarm you can set off in your home if you need urgent help
  • We can help with equipment and adaptations to your home
  • Our enablement services can help keep you independent by helping you with everyday activities
  • You may be able to take a short break or get respite care for a couple of hours or a few weeks.

How to apply

Please contact your local Social Work office and ask for us to carry out an assessment.

If you are unable to call, someone can do this for you, such as:

  • Relatives or carers
  • Health professionals, such as your community nurse or GP
  • Voluntary organisations

Service charges

You will not be charged for your assessment. However, depending on your income and savings, you may be charged for some of the services we provide. Please contact us to find out more about service charges.

Disability Information Service (DIS)

Disability Information Service is a free, confidential, independent and impartial service for people of any age, with any type of disability, their carers, family, or anyone else (including professional people), who is involved with their care.

DIS is part of Falkirk Council Social Work Services and it aims to help people with disabilities live as independently as possible, by providing information and advice on any disability related topic.

The service is situated in Dundas Resource Centre:

Dundas Resource Centre
Oxgang Road

The building is fully accessible and equipped for wheelchair users, with disabled parking bays beside the main entrance door.

The service is staffed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 9am to 5pm, with a voicemail facility to leave messages out-with these times. Visits are by appointment.

The service can be contacted on:

Dundas Resource Centre

If you are aged 18-64 and have a physical disability due to illness or injury, you may be referred to the Dundas Resource Centre.

The Centre's services can help you improve your physical abilities through rehabilitation, training opportunities, education, respite and social activities.

You can be referred to the service by Social Work staff, your GP and hospital staff.

Community support groups for adults with a physical disability

There are a number of different groups that people can come along to for friendship, a giggle and support.

To explore options for either a group or or an activity that's right for you, please get in touch for more information and contact details.

Stroke support groups

We have a few friendly social groups for stroke survivors and their Carers. To find out more or arrange a visit please contact Sandra for more information.

Disability News

Why not keep up to date with disability related information by receiving a quarterly newsletter by emailing Sandra Snaddon.

Disability News is also on Twitter.

For more information please contact: