The Sensory Service Social Work Team is part of Social Work Adult Services. The team can support you by offering services to meet your assessed needs.

We work closely with NHS Forth Valley ophthalmology and audiology staff, as well as the Social Work locality teams. This means you have a "joined up" service across health and social care services.

Our staff have specialist training to work with people with a sensory impairment and staff are trained in:

  • British Sign Language
  • Hands on Signing
  • Deafblind Manual
  • lip reading, and
  • are trained sighted guides.

Our Sensory Service Social Work team offer:

Visual Impairment Rehabilitation Officer

A Visual Impairment Rehabilitation Officer supports people with a sight loss and can help them to gain access to other professional services, providing support and assistance to enhance skills and confidence and to improve independence and wellbeing. We also work with individuals offering daily living training and rehabilitation to meet outcomes.

Visual Impairment Rehabilitation Officer (Children and Young People)

A Visual Impairment Rehabilitation Officer (children and young people) who is a qualified Habilitation Specialist who can provide habilitation training which involves one-to-one training for children and young people with a vision impairment. Starting from their existing skills, the aim is to develop their personal mobility, navigation and independent living skills. At whatever age the training is started, the overriding goal is to maximise the child or young person's independence, opening the way in the future, to further study, employment and an independent life.

Deaf Rehabilitation Officer

A Deaf Rehabilitation Officer can offer help to overcome problems caused by hearing loss. We offer rehabilitation assessment to help people adapt to their situation. We will offer assistance to gain further support or funding, if needed. They can also provide advice on equipment that can make daily activities easier. We also work in partnership within the local community, education and voluntary organisations to help create programmes that improve services for people with a hearing impairment.

Assessor/Technician Officer

An Assessor/Technician Officer offers support to people with a hearing impairment or who have a dual sensory loss. We provide formal assessment tailored to individual needs for suitable equipment within their home to reduce risk and encourage independence.

Specialised Support Worker Service

Our Specialised Support Worker Service offers a range of support for people who have a sensory loss and whose communication, mobility and access to information is severely impaired due to their sensory loss. We offer support in the community and to people in their own home who have a sensory impairment. The service also offers a range of reablement services based on agreed outcomes.

Social Care Officer

A Social Care Officer's role is to offer support, advice and guidance to people living with a visual and/or hearing impairment, their partners or carers. Enabling them to maintain their independence, whilst treating them with dignity and respecting their individual ideals in order to fulfil their potential and achieve their outcomes.

British Sign Language Interpretation Service

Our British Sign Language Interpretation Service can be accessed by anyone who needs a British Sign Language Interpreter for official Council business, which can include services such as Social Work, Housing or Education.

To book an interpreter please email:

contactSCOTLAND-BSL logo

British Sign Language (BSL) users can also contact contactSCOTLAND-BSL direct.