We can help people with small jobs in and around the home.
Who can use the service?
This service can be used if you are:
- aged 65 and over, with no able-bodied person living with you
- disabled, where there is no able-bodied person living with you and you are unable to do small jobs.
What types of work does the service cover?
There are 2 parts to this service:
The small repair part of the service is available to home owners and covers small repairs (joinery, plumbing and electrical works) which take no more than 2 hours to complete.
The handyperson part of the service is available to home owners, council tenants and housing association tenants. This covers health and safety related jobs which take no more than one hour to complete.
What are small repairs and handyperson jobs?
Joinery small repairs
- Draught-proofing works
- Adjust/repair windows (not glazing)
- Adjust/repair doors
- Door handles
- Hatch repairs
- Letterbox replacements
- Apply sealant in kitchen and bathrooms
- Repair catches/pulleys
- Put up/repair shelving
- Repair/replace skirting and door surrounds
- Hang/re-hang a single door
- Replace/upgrade door locks and other security devices
Plumbing small repairs
- Replace washers in taps
- Replace kitchen, wash-hand basin or bath taps
- Replace sink grating
- Replace sink plug and chain
- Clear an internal choked kitchen sink
- Repair a leak at water pipe below kitchen sink, wash-hand basin, bath or WC supply
waste and flush pipes
- Replace washer or ballcock of cistern
- Replace WC seat and cover
- Supply and fit new insulation jacket to existing hot water cylinder
Electrical small repairs
- Repair/replace smoke detectors
- Repair/replace fuses and circuit breakers
- Repair/replace internal and external light fittings, switches sockets and pull cords
- Repair/replace electrical sockets, spur units and shower indicators
- Supply and fit ceiling pull cord and switch for shower unit
- Repair/replace immersion heaters control switch
- Repair immersion heater
- Repair/replace cooker control unit switches
- Disconnect/re-connect electric cooker
- Repair extractor fan
- Minor repairs to storage and panel heaters
- Replace fluorescent bulbs and light fittings
- Change light bulb (no fluorescent tubes)
- Change security light bulb (height restricted)
- Re-tape carpet to avoid tripping hazard
- Fit client supplied roller blind
- Fit client supplied curtain rail/pole(s)
- Fit client supplied wireless door bells (not sensory bells)
- Install security works eg door chain, spy hole (if appropriate)
- Install client supplied bathroom cabinets, towel rails, toilet roll holders, hat/coat hooks
- Install vent covers
- Re-rope rotary dryer
If you have any other small jobs not listed that you think we might be able to help you with, please contact us on the details below.
When can I arrange a visit?
Appointment are only available on a Wednesday.
How much does it cost?
A rate of £31.20 is charged for each hour, along with the cost of the materials.
How many times can I use the Small Repair and Handyperson Service?
The service can be accessed up to 8 times a year.
A year runs from 01 April to 31 March.
Who do I contact?
If you would like more information about our Small Repair and Handyperson Service or would like to arrange work, please call us during office hours (9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday) or email us: