The Buy Back Scheme considers buying back ex-council properties that were sold under Right to Buy. This helps us to increase the amount of affordable housing in the Falkirk Council area.
What properties are we looking to buy?
The types of properties we wish to buy must meet the following conditions:
- Former council property
- Currently being advertised for sale, with an up to date Home Buyer's report
- The owner must have made their own arrangements for rehousing
- One or 2 bedroom flats, houses with more than 2 bedrooms
Priority is given to areas with the greatest need for affordable housing. These areas were identified in the Local Housing Strategy and the Housing Need and Demand Assessment.
We will also consider:
- If the property brings us back into majority ownership in that block
- If the property will be able to feature in our future housing investment programmes
- How much it would cost to bring the property up to the Scottish Housing Quality Standard and the Letting Standards
How do we find properties?
We find properties through online advertising and information from estate agents. All properties must be located in the Falkirk Council area.
What happens if a suitable property is found?
A District Valuer will survey the property to decide the current market value.
We will not make an offer on every property surveyed. Any offer made will be within the price range given by the District Valuer.
We will act as "any other buyer" and no officer from Falkirk Council will meet with a seller or estate agent. The seller is responsible for their own legal fees.