The Scottish Government passed the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Short term Lets) Order 2022 on 19 January 2022. This introduced a licensing scheme for short term lets which started on 01 October 2022.
The purpose of the short term lets licensing scheme is to:
- Ensure all short term lets are safe.
- Facilitate licensing authorities in knowing and understanding what is happening in their area.
- Assist in complaints and address issues faced by neighbours effectively.
There are 4 types of licence for short term let accommodation:
The letting of property where you do not normally live, for example a second home that is let to guests.
Using all or part of your own home for short term lets, whilst you are absent. An example of this could be whilst you are on holiday.
Using all or part of your own home for short term lets, whilst you are there.
Home letting and home sharing
Operating short term lets from your own home while you are living there and for periods when you are absent.
- 01 October 2022 – New hosts must not operate without a licence from this date.
- 01 April 2023 – All existing hosts and operators are required to have made an application to Falkirk Council.
- 01 July 2024 – All short term lets are required to be licensed.
Do I need a licence?
To check whether your property should be licenced, please read the definition of short term let in the legislation.
The definition refers to “Excluded Accommodation and Tenancies” and a list of those can be found on legislation.gov.uk.
Further information and guidance for hosts and operators can be found on the Scottish Government website
Applications can be submitted from 01 October 2022.
This application pack includes the application form, checklists, and the mandatory licence conditions.
- Short term let application form
If you are a current operator, we will check your application and send you a temporary licence number to enable you to continue operating.
If you propose to start a new short term lets business after 01 October 2022, you can still submit an application however you will not be able to operate until your licence is granted.
If you would like further information regarding short term lets licensing scheme, please contact us:
Public register of applications
Our public register of short term lets is available for download.
- Short term lets register