A licence is required to operate a business buying and/or selling certain types of second-hand goods in Falkirk.
Falkirk Council has resolved that the dealing in the following classes of good or articles require to be licensed:-
- household effects, including electrical and gas goods and home entertainment
- personal effects including clothing, watches, jewellery, photographic equipment and mobile telephone equipment
- bicycles and scooters
- motor vehicles, motor cycles and caravans including spare parts, accessories and
- manufactured goods
- antiques, paintings, historical prints and maps
- stamps and coins
- antique and modern furniture and soft furnishings
- sports equipment
- personal computers, laptops, tablets and associated computing equipment.
- musical instruments
- DVD and Blu-ray discs, CDs and vinyl records
- DIY equipment
- audio equipment
- prams, buggies and baby equpment
To operate the business of Second Hand Dealing in the Falkirk Council area you need a licence. Licences are issued by Falkirk Council in terms of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
Generally a Second Hand Dealer Licence is granted for 3 years and costs £263 for both new and renewal applications.
How to apply
The second hand dealer licence application form is available for download.
- Application for the grant or renewal of a Second Hand Dealer Licence
You can also get an application form by contacting us directly: