A licence is required to operate a business buying and/or selling certain types of second-hand goods in Falkirk.
If you deal in any of the second-hand goods listed below you need a second-hand dealer's licence.
- household effects and electrical and gas goods
- personal effects including clothing, watches, jewellery, photographic equipment
and mobile telephone equipment
- motor vehicles, motor cycles and caravans including spare parts, accessories and
- manufactured goods
- antiques, paintings, historical prints and maps
- stamps and coins
- antique and modern furniture and soft furnishings
- sport and recreational effects including personal computers, computer peripherals
- musical instruments
To operate the business of Second Hand Dealing in the Falkirk Council area you need a licence. Licences are issued by Falkirk Council in terms of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
Generally a Second Hand Dealer Licence is granted for 3 years and costs £255 for both new and renewal applications.
How to apply
The following second hand dealer licence application form is available for download:
- Application for the grant of a new or renewal of a Second Hand Dealer Licence
You can also get an application form by contacting us directly: