What is Adult Disability Payment?

It is extra money to help people who have a long-term illness or disability that affects their everyday life. It replaces Personal Independence Payment for people in Scotland, previously delivered by the Department for Work and Pensions. Who can get Adult Disability Payment? People can apply for Adult Disability Payment if they:

  • have a disability or long term health condition, or are terminally ill
  • have not yet reached State Pension age

How are the payment rates calculated?

Adult Disability Payment is made up of two parts: daily living and mobility. People may qualify for one or both parts.

Daily Living component

  • standard - a weekly rate of £68.10
  • enhanced - a weekly rate of £101.75

Mobility component

  • standard - weekly rate of £26.90
  • enhanced- weekly rate of £71.00

Adult Disability Payment People who get the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Adult Disability Payment are able to transfer either the whole or part of the money they get for the mobility component to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair through the Accessible Vehicles and Equipment Scheme.

How will people be paid?

The first payment will usually be calculated from the date the first part of the online application was submitted. Or, from the date the person phoned Social Security Scotland to start the application process, if they applied by phone and paper form.

Adult Disability Payment is paid every 4 weeks in arrears. It will be paid into the account given as part of the application.

Is the payment available to people who are terminally ill?

Yes. A person with a terminal illness will be entitled to the highest rate of the care component and mobility component, regardless of the period of time for which they have had a terminal illness. If the person is terminally ill, Adult Disability Payment will be paid weekly in advance.

What if someone already gets Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance?

If someone already gets Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance from the Department for Work and Pensions they do not need to apply. Their awards will be transferred automatically to the new Scottish system from Summer 2022, with no break in entitlement. Social Security Scotland will take over making their payments when their award transfers. They will get a letter with more details before this happens.

How can they apply?

People can apply online at the mygov Benefits and Grants web page, by post, through a local face-to-face appointment or via our freephone helpline on 0800 182 2222.

How can people contact Social Security Scotland?

Call us free on:
Text Relay Service (for the hard of hearing):
British Sign Language users: