What is Funeral Support Payment?
Funeral Support Payment is a payment available to people in Scotland, who are on certain benefits or tax credits, and need support to meet the cost of a funeral.
You can use the payment towards funeral costs for a baby, child or adult. This includes babies who were stillborn.
Who can get Funeral Support Payment?
This payment does not affect any other benefits. It doesn't have to be repaid and is normally paid directly to the funeral director although it can be paid to you.
You may be eligible if you satisfy the following:
- You live in Scotland
- You have the nearest relationship / relative to the person who has died
- You are responsible for the payment of the funeral
- The person who died lived in the UK
- The funeral takes place in the UK, or in some cases in a member state of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
- You are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)
When can I apply?
You can apply from when the person dies, and up to 6 months after the funeral.
How much Funeral Support Payment will I get?
Funeral Support Payment is a part-payment and will cover some, but likely not all, of the funeral costs. This is dependent on individual funeral choices and varying fees for services across Scotland.
If eligible, the amount you will receive will depend on what you have claimed and what funds were left by the person who died.
Funeral Support Payment can cover:
- Burial and cremation costs
- Some travel costs, document costs and medical costs
- A flat rate for any other expenses:
- £1000.00 for the majority of applications
- £122.05 if the person who died made provision for their funeral through a funeral plan
How to claim
The quickest way to apply for Funeral Support Payment is either by telephone or online:
You can also download and print a paper copy from the website.
If English is not your first language, you can apply over the phone or ask for a paper form to be sent to you, in any of over 100 languages (0800 182 2222).