Carer's Allowance is a benefit paid to people who regularly spend at least 35 hours per week caring for someone who is disabled. You do not have to live at the same address or be related to the disabled person to qualify.
You can get carer's allowance even if you have never worked. You are not prevented from claiming carer's allowance if you are disabled yourself and also need care.
Carer's allowance is not means tested and does not depend on national insurance contributions. It is taxable and counts as income for tax credits and universal credit. It does not matter if you have savings as these will not be taken into account.
Severe Disability Premium
Before you make a claim for Carer's Allowance, you should check with the person you are caring for, as it may affect some of the benefits they receive if you are successful, such as losing a severe disability premium from their:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
If you are entitled to carer's allowance, your household will be exempt from the 'benefit cap' which limits the total weekly benefits that can be claimed.
Carer's Allowance Supplement
People living in Scotland, who are receiving Carer's Allowance could also get an extra payment known as Carer's Allowance Supplement.
Am I Eligible for Carer's Allowance?
- You must be aged 16 or over
- You must not be in full time education
- You must not be subject to immigration control and must pass the UK residence and presence tests
- You must regularly spend 35 hours a week caring for a person who receives one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance - care component higher-rate or middle-rate
- Personal Independence Payment - daily living component either rate
- Attendance Allowance - any rate
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Constant Attendance Allowance (of £71.60 or more) paid with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
How much Carer's Allowance will I get?
The amount of Carer's Allowance is £66.15 per week.
How to claim
The quickest way to apply for Carer's Allowance is online.
By telephone to get a form posted to you:
You can also download and print a paper copy. Details of who to send the form back to are on the form.