1. Table of contents

You may be offered temporary accommodation if you need somewhere to stay while you wait for a decision to be made on your homeless application, or while we are trying to find somewhere for you to stay permanently.

We have a range of temporary accommodation depending on your needs, they are:

  • Fully furnished properties
  • Supported accommodation for single men and young single people aged 16-25 years
  • Bed and breakfast establishments

Our temporary accommodation is located all across the Falkirk Council area.

Fully furnished properties

We have around 250 flats for temporary letting. Most of these properties belong to us, but we also lease properties from Private Landlords. These properties must meet our temporary accommodation standards and are managed by us. The private landlord has no involvement with the tenant or the property.

Accommodation ranges from one bedroom single person homes to larger family sized housing. All flats have everything you or your family will need to live, and you won’t share it with anyone else.

Supported Accommodation

If your Homeless Assessment Officer considers that you need specialist housing support, they will look to find a placement in one of our supported accommodation units.

Our Supported Accommodation units provide practical support to applicants while they are awaiting the outcome of their homelessness assessment and looks to help with the transition to further supported, temporary or permanent accommodation.

The information below provides details about all of our supported accommodation units.

Single Male Supported Accommodation

Our single male (aged 25 and over) supported accommodation unit has 24 room in flats with 3 to 5 bedrooms that share communal facilities (bathroom, kitchen). Support is available 24 hours a day all year round.

Mixed Supported Accommodation

Our mixed supported accommodation unit offers accommodation to both single persons (shared) and families (self-contained). The accommodation is a block of flats split between self-contained and shared flats (shared flats have communal facilities; bathroom, kitchen). Support is available 24 hours a day all year round.

Young Persons Supported Accommodation

We have specialist supported accommodation unit that provides young people aged 16-25 with support during their transition from homelessness to permanent accommodation. The service aims to support young people to gain important skills and the ability to manage their own tenancy independently and develop a range of life skills appropriate to their needs. The accommodation is in flats with 3 or 4 bedrooms with shared communal facilities. Support is available 24 hours a day all year round.

Bed & breakfast

Sometimes we use bed and breakfast accommodation if no other temporary accommodation is available.

We try not to use bed and breakfast accommodation wherever possible, and try to avoid placing families with children or pregnant women there.

Will I be offered temporary housing?

During your interview, a homeless assessment officer will discuss whether or not you need temporary housing.

When you accept an offer of temporary accommodation, we will ask you to sign an occupancy agreement and the tenancy rules. The occupancy agreement will explain your rights and responsibilities while you stay there and the standard of accommodation that we have committed to provide.

If you are unhappy with the accommodation we have offered you, you have a right to ask us to review our decision. To do this, please contact us using the details on this page.

Temporary accommodation management and support

Our Accommodation Officers manage our temporary accommodation.

They can help you with:

  • Home visits
  • Tenancy support

And give you advice about:

  • Arrears issues
  • Neighbour disputes
  • Home repairs

Storage, transport and pets

We can help you arrange to store your possessions if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

At your homeless interview we will ask about your belongings. If you move to our temporary accommodation, we can uplift and store your belongings while you stay there.

You will need to pay for this service. The charge will depend on the amount of furniture that needs to be stored. We will consider your financial circumstances and ability to pay.

What will happen to my pets?

We will allow you to keep pets in our temporary accommodation but you must seek permission from your temporary accommodation officer.

Unfortunately you can not keep your pets in our supported accommodation. If you are unable to find a place for your pets to stay, we will give you information to help you to find a place.

Charges for temporary accommodation

Everyone living in temporary accommodation will have to pay for it. The cost will depend on the type of accommodation you get. We will always tell you how much your accommodation will cost before you move in.

The amount you pay for temporary accommodation covers:

  • Rent
  • Furniture if you need it
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Support, advice and assistance we give you
  • Other services you get from us to help you move and find a solution to your homelessness

Can I get any help to pay for my accommodation?

If you are on benefits or a low income, then most or all of the accommodation charge may be covered by Housing Benefit.

When you enter temporary accommodation we will ask you to complete a Housing Benefit form. We can help to fill in the form. You must complete the form quickly as if you delay, your benefit application will not be assessed and you will owe us money for the unpaid charges.